Empty Message

400 Bad Request

Document all the things!

I’m all about automating documentation, you might think it’s because I like writing documentation. Nope, like most others I loathe having to gather a produce documentation but I recognize it’s value and the reasoning for it. And I’ve been saved by it more than once. That being said if I can automate it I will [...]

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter…

I initially released the Lync Environment Report scripts back in February, and it’s been a whirlwind trip since them. I’ve been on the road for almost every week travelling since then. I’ve been trying to find time to work on finalizing a reporting script for AudioCodes voice gateway configuration files, and also get out responses and [...]

Tell me more…

It’s been about 573 days or almost 75 weeks since I originally published my blog post titled “Making sense of a TBXML” which included a PowerShell script that could parse the data from a Lync Topology Builder file and create a spreadsheet and Visio diagram. I’ve published a few blog posts since then with new [...]

Getting Real With Fake User Data

I’ve spent a decent chunk of time setting up my VM test lab, as I’m sure many others have. In my lab I have AD, Exchange 2010, Lync 2010 & 2013, TMG, an Asterisk based PBX, and a couple client VMs running Windows 7 with Office and the Lync client installed. It’s a great learning [...]

, , , , ,

Backing up Lync Archiving Data to FTP

The Archiving server role in Lync 2010 does a pretty decent job of living up to it’s namesake in archiving messaging data. Whether on a SAN or locally attached, disk space is not infinite. This means we can’t keep data in SQL forever, even if we need to keep the data around. One option natively [...]

, ,

Edging Out the OCS Client

Microsoft’s recommended order for deployment when moving from OCS to Lync is to migrate you’re internal services (Front-End pools, mediation, archiving, etc) first, and then to migrate your Edge services to the new Lync servers last. As I found out, there’s a good reason for the order they suggest. With Lync came the ability to create external [...]

, , , , ,

Making sense of a TBXML

One of the things that intrigued me the most when I first started working with Lync was the Topology Builder and it’s TBXML files. Whenever I walk into a new Lync environment one of the first things I do is to open the Lync Topology Builder and pull up the existing topology to get an [...]

, , , , ,

Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2010 – Is such a thing even possible?

Haven’t been able to get any updates posted for a little while now, been busy with that whole day job thing. I know promised more Lync tools, they’re coming and soon I hope. If I can scratch out the time to put the finishing touches on them and do the finalized testing; I’d like to [...]

, ,

Lync 2010 VCFG Converter

One of my colleagues approached me a couple of weeks ago about creating a scripted solution to extract the data from a Lync VCFG Voice Configuration File. Traditionally the time and work involved in documenting a Lync voice deployment was a manual process, and I like to automate these things where I can. I’ve been [...]


I almost forgot how much I preferred MDT and SCCM over vanilla Sysprep Windows deployments. OSD is so much easier when you don’t have to modify the reference image, and you can just use the install.wim from the disk. meh

Previous Posts