It’s been about 573 days or almost 75 weeks since I originally published my blog post titled “Making sense of a TBXML” which included a PowerShell script that could parse the data from a Lync Topology Builder file and create a spreadsheet and Visio diagram. I’ve published a few blog posts since then with new scripts, but never stopped working on improving my Lync Documentation Script. It has grown immeasurably in complexity and capability since then.
Before I get into all the gory details, I’d like to thank a few people for their help along the way. Thank you to Pat Richard and Luke Kannel who helped test out the earlier versions and provided invaluable feedback on bugs, fixes, and features. I’d also like to thank the guys over at DigiCert for their help in getting me a code signing certificate so all of these scripts could be signed. And last but certainly not least a giant thank you to Tim Harrington who spent a stupid amount of hours testing, validating, and providing great feedback.
I’ve spent a decent chunk of time setting up my VM test lab, as I’m sure many others have. In my lab I have AD, Exchange 2010, Lync 2010 & 2013, TMG, an Asterisk based PBX, and a couple client VMs running Windows 7 with Office and the Lync client installed. It’s a great learning exercise to get everything setup and be able to play around with the configuration options. I’ve actually lost count at how many times I’ve wiped and rebuilt my lab to test different scenarios. I like to simplify the setup as much as possible to reduce the time needed for setup.
One necessity I’ve run into with my lab is test user accounts. Originally like a lot of other people out there I started with just a few accounts with names like TestUser1 or Exch2010UserB. Don’t get me wrong, it works just fine for testing; but I wanted more. So what started with me generating a list of 50 random names, to name my test user accounts, eventually grew into what I’m posting today. Read further to learn about New-AdTestUsers.